Dental crowns encase the tooth on which they are cemented. Since dental crowns cover the entire visible aspect of a tooth, a dental crown in effect becomes the tooth’s new outer surface. Crowns can be made out of porcelain, zirconia (a very hard ceramic), metal (a gold or other metal alloy), or a combination of both.
Your smiles dentist may prescribe a crown to:
- Replace a large filling when there isn’t enough tooth remaining
- Protect a weak tooth from fracturing
- Restore a fractured tooth
- Attach a bridge
- Cover a dental implant
- Cover a discoloured or poorly shaped tooth
- Cover a tooth that has had root canal treatment
The particular type of crown your dentist recommends will depend on the clinical requirement and the best treatment option for your long term dental health.
To find out more or book an appointment contact your local Smiles Dental